Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Random thoughts

Yesterday afternoon while on a 11 mile trail run through Bonelli park these words of Ted Corbitt came to my mind. "You don’t need a goal. You don’t need a race. You don’t need the hype of a so-called fitness craze. All you need is a cheap pair of shoes and some time. The rest will follow.” Those words made me think of the present running and ultrarunning craze that is sweeping America. To me I think it is becoming over marketed and possibly selling out! Seems like every city is rushing to put on a marathon, every organization is rallying troops to raise money for their cause. Don't get me wrong I'm a health and fitness professional, I am an advocate for exercise; but......COME ON! Are these cities and people participating for the right reasons? I have met to many people running because it is a Fad! They are not well coached, trained, or prepared for what a marathon and beyond does to the body. Maybe I'm just rambling and this posted doesn't make sense. I want people to get off their butts and get fit, but if you have been sedentary for 20 yrs and are 40 lbs over weight. Maybe training for a marathon is not what you should start with. You may do more damage then you think. But referring back to the words of Ted Corbitt, don't fall for the hype, just get outside and get in shape for yourself, not because it is "the in thing"!
MJ

No comments: