Wednesday, May 5, 2010

BROAD STREET RUN 2010

PHILADELPHIA FREEDOM
SHINE ON ME
I LOVE YA
SHINE THE LIGHT
SHINE IT SO VERY BRIGHT



On a recent trip to visit family in Philadelphia/Yeadon, PA Tanya and I just had to find a race. What did we find, just the largest 10 miler in the USA. The "Broad Street Run" and this year the race sold out! 30,000 runners!! Can you believe 30,000 runners in a 10 miler! I was a little concerned about logistics, because it was an end to end race, but the directors had everything
under control. The morning of the race participants parked their cars for free at Lincoln Financial field. We then boarded the Broad Street Line subway for a free ride to the start.
This worked out perfectly, it was also fun riding the subway with so many runners.
Corrals separated runners according to expected finishing times, unlike other races the vast majority of people went to their assigned corral without issue. I hate it when walkers jump into the 8:00 min/mile pace corral and create traffic jams when the race starts. Each Corral also had a staggered start which reduced congestion and made for a smooth start.
Philadelphia is known for it's incredible murals all over the city. I had to get a picture of the champs. Can you name them?
The heat we experienced that day was unexpected, I grew up in the area and never remember it being so hot and humid so early in the year. 90 degrees in May is unheard of, I thought I was in Bermuda in August. Hot and sticky! In the distance is city hall, which is roughly the half way point. I actually had a rough beginning, but ended up finishing strong.





We made it to the Philadelphia Navy Yard, where the race ended, and I made it to the bathroom! Whew!
Our goal was to finish in 1:30:00, we finished just under that at 1:29:30.
No medals for finishing? We were a little disappointed. But running 10 miles with 30,00 other runners. There is no better way to spend a Sunday morning.
Keep fit my friends
MJ










1 comment:

Reese said...

Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Larry Holmes, and George Foreman. Nice pictures.